The Law Society of NSW Specialist Accredititation 


Any information contained in a blog on this website is general in nature only. The content of any blog posted below reflects information which is known to us as at the date of the posting of the blog. Please be aware that the law regularly changes. Please do not rely on the general information contained in the below blogs, instead we recommend that you contact us to obtain legal advice tailored to your own specific situation.



Australian Financial Complaints Authority

Amanda Quin - Monday, August 07, 2017

The Financial Ombudsman Service, the Credit & Investments Ombudsman and the Superannuation Complaints Tribunal are to be merged into a single entity called the Australian Financial Complaints Authority (AFCA).

AFCA will be overseen by ASIC.

It is proposed that this new complaints authority will commence on 1 July 2018.


Changes to Retail Leases Act

Amanda Quin - Monday, August 07, 2017


On 1 July 2017 a number of changes to the Retail Leases Act (NSW) (“the Act”)commenced including:

Removal of 5 year term

Section 16 of the Act was removed. As a result there is no longer a minimum term for a Retail Lease and no requirement for a solicitor’s certificate to be executed for short term leases.

Lease registration

  • The Landlord must supply the Tenant with a copy of the fully signed lease within three (3) months of the tenant returning the signed lease to the Landlord.
  • In addition, where the term of a lease is three years or more then the lease must be registered within 3 months of the Tenant returning the signed lease to the Landlord. This period may however be extended where any mortgagee delays in consenting to the lease.
  • The Landlord cannot require the Tenant to pay any mortgagee consent fees.
  • The maximum fine that may be imposed is 50 penalty units (which is currently $5,500).

Disclosure Statements

  • If the estimated amount of an outgoing is not disclosed in a Lessor’s disclosure statement, then the Tenant does not need to pay the outgoing.
  • Where the estimate for any outgoings is less than the cost of the actual outgoing – then unless there was a reasonable basis for the estimate, then tenant does not need to pay more than what was estimated.
  • If a Landlord fails to provide a Tenant with a disclosure statement (which is to be supplied at least 7 days before the lease is entered into) or has served a defective disclosure statement (ie an incomplete or misleading disclosure statement), then the Tenant may terminate the lease during its first 6 months.
  • If the Tenant does exercise its right to terminate the lease then the Tenant will be entitled to claim compensation for costs such as their expenditure on fitout. (Although the Tenant cannot terminate the lease under this section in relation to a defective disclosure statement if the Landlord had acted honestly and reasonably when issuing the disclosure statement and if the Tenant is in substantially as a good a position as they otherwise would have been if the disclosure statement had been correct).
  • Lessor disclosure statements are now required for Agreements for Lease.

Bonds and Bank Guarantees

Bank Guarantees must be returned to the Tenant within two months after the Tenant has performed all of its obligations under the lease.

Whilst it has not yet started, there is now provision for the Retail Tenancy Unit to move to an on-line bond lodgment system.

Assignment Process

When a Tenant is seeking consent to assign its lease to an assignee, then the Tenant may ask the Landlord for an updated lessor’s disclosure statement.

If the Landlord fails to provide the Tenant with an updated lessor’s disclosure statement within 14 days of it being requested to do so, then the Tenant may prepare its own updated lessor’s disclosure statement for service on the assignee.

If the Tenant then serves an assignor’s disclosure statement and the updated lessor’s disclosure statement on the assignee and the Landlord AND if the Landlord consents to an assignment of the lease (or is deemed to have consented, where the Landlord fails to respond within 28 days) then the Tenant and its guarantors will be released from liability under the lease from the assignment date.

NCAT jurisdictional limit increase

NCAT can now hear retail lease dispute matters up to $750,000.



What is stamp duty?

Transfer of land duty (formerly known as stamp duty) is a duty payable on the sale or transfer of land, including improvements in NSW.

Put simply, stamp duty is a tax imposed on the purchaser of land in NSW. The tax is payable to the Revenue NSW (formerly known as the NSW Office of State Revenue).

How is stamp duty calculated? 

Stamp duty is calculated on an ad valorem basis – meaning the amount of stamp duty payable is proportional to the value of the land.

Revenue NSW has a calculator to assist you with your calculations and you may access this on the Revenue NSW website at: 

When am I required to pay stamp duty?

You are required to pay stamp duty prior to land being transferred (acquired by you). However there are some exemptions for First Home Buyers.

Who is a First Home Buyer:

Eligibility criteria:

An eligible purchaser is a purchaser who has not, and whose spouse has not:

  • At any time owned (either solely or with someone else) residential property in Australia other than property owned solely as a trustee or executor;
  • Previously received an exemption or concession under the First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme
  • Furthermore an eligible purchaser must:

  • Be over the age of 18 years;
  • Must be an Australian citizen or permanent resident;
  • Must be a natural person - not be a company or trust;
  • Must purchase the whole of the property; and
  • Acquire an interest of at least 50% of the property.
  • First Home Buyers:

    The NSW State Government established the First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme on 1 July 2017 to assist First Home Buyers with acquiring land in NSW by providing them with an exemption from stamp duty in certain circumstances:

  • First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme:
  • Provides an exemption on stamp duty on new and existing homes valued up to $650,000.00;
  • Provides a concession on stamp duty on new and existing homes valued between $650,000.00 - $800,000.00;
  • Provides an exemption on stamp duty on vacant land valued up to $350,000.00;
  • Provides a concession on stamp duty on vacant land valued between $350,000.00 - $450,000.00;
  • Allows purchasers to receive an exemption or concession (as per the above values) if they are purchasing the property with someone that is not a first home buyer and they are purchasing at least 50% of the property. ( Note: this does not apply to spouses). These are called Shared Equity Arrangements and would apply if the first home buyer was purchasing with a relative (other than a spouse) or friend for example. Duty is calculated with reference to the proportion of the property purchased by other parties.
  • First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme:
  • The First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme was established to assist eligible first home owners to purchase a new home or build their home by offering a grant.
  • The grant amount is determined based on the date of the eligible transaction:
  • For eligible transactions made on or after 1 January 2016, the grant amount is $10,000.00;
  • For eligible transactions made on or after 1 October 2012 and 31 December 2015, the grant amount is $15,000.00
  • What is a new home?
  • A home that has not been previously occupied or sold as a place of residence.

    Residence Requirement:

    Both the First Home Buyers Assistance Scheme and the First Home Owner Grant (New Homes) Scheme require the home purchased or built to be occupied by at least one of the eligible purchasers as his/her principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months with that occupation commencing within 12 months after settlement.

    Should you have any queries regarding the abovementioned Schemes, please do not hesitate to contact our office or review some further information on the Revenue NSW website: